Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Stormin'

Our lovely spring-like weather was rudely interrupted by another storm.  The temperature was 42o at 6:00 in the morning, and rapidly dropped as the snowfall began.  I was back to my insulated coveralls and pacs.

Visibility was down to ¼ mile by the time I got out to feed.  I expected the cows to have drifted with the storm until they reached the shelter of the brush along the river, so I drove down the edge of the hayfield looking for them.

The first round brought out only a small portion of the cows, and I threw them some hay.  Then I went looking for the rest.  On the second circle of the field I spotted the main herd emerging from the storm.

It is in this is the kind of weather that I utilize my patch of Basin Wildrye.  The tall, course stems protect the cattle – and the hay – from the wind.


It was a fine day for paying bills and making phone calls.  In mid-afternoon, however, I had an appointment in the field up west to receive another load of “lick” - http://mellinniumcowboy.blogspot.com/2011/11/lick.html

The hay that I am feeding to the cows is of disappointing quality.  We’d had some equipment problems last summer that had made us late to cut this field, and even later to bale it.  The hay was course and bleached by the sun.  It was good enough for winter feed, but lacks the necessary nutrition for this late in the cows’ gestation.  This liquid supplement will give them added protein and energy.

By late afternoon the snow had passed, but colder temps were forecast for overnight so I put out some straw.  The cows will nose through that and eat some of it for extra energy to weather the cold, then they will bed down on the rest for insulation from the cold.

This morning dawned bright and clear – and 12o above.  The forecast is for much warmer tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment