Thursday, February 23, 2012

Turkey Soup

I like turkey – especially with mash potatoes and gravy.  The left-over slices make fine sandwiches, and the dregs make a good addition to enchiladas or quesadillas.  But the best part is soup stock made from the carcass.  That home-cooked soup will cure whatever ails you.

While casting through the freezer for dinner-fixin’s this morning I ran across a container of soup stock from last Thanksgiving.  It just won’t do for the stuff to get stale, I have enough saved from the Christmas turkey for contingencies, and it looked like a quick and easy supper, so I set it out to thaw.

Now while I do like soup, I want it thick enough so it doesn’t dribble down my chin when I get a good spoonful.  So while the soup was heating up on the stove I whacked up a batch of noodles to put in it.

First I put a couple of eggs in a bowl and stirred them up with a fork, then I added a cup of flour and a little salt.  When the whole mass was mixed together I dumped it out on a floured stone, kneaded a bit, then rolled it out and cut it into noodles with a pizza knife.

That whole process took only ten minutes - and by the time the soup-stock was boiling the noodles were ready to go in.

While the soup was cooking I went on to some other business, returning occasionally to stir the pot.  In 20 minutes I had a fine batch soup that was so thick you could almost eat it with a fork.  It had taken a little time in the beginning to pick the bones out of the soup stock, another 10 minutes to mix up the noodles, and pennies worth of flour and spices to make a meal that was delicious and nutritious.

How much does a box of Hamburger Helper cost, and how long does it take to cook?

No comments:

Post a Comment